It's always good to see examples, it simply makes the process of identifying, building and implementing something, well... just easier. Instead of staring blankly at an empty sheet of paper, daunted at the prospect of determining which KPIs you need for your organisation? Here's a little helping hand. We've put together over 200 KPIs across various industries and sectors to get you going.
Key Performance Indicators
A Key Performance Indicator (KPI) is a type of measure that is used to evaluate the performance of an organisation against specific strategic objectives. KPIs cut the complexity associated with performance tracking by reducing large amounts of data into a practical number of 'key' indicators.
Dashboards for presenting your KPIs
A KPI Dashboard (also known as business dashboard) is a great way to present your Key Performance Indicators, Metrics and Measures used to monitor performance. They provide companies, departments and managers a simple tool to track the progress of business objectives, and make data driven business decisions more efficiently.
A KPI Report is also a good way to communicate your Key Performance Indicators. Reports tend to track progress against targets and goals to improve performance over time, and offer more in-depth analysis than Dashboards alone. A KPI Report will typically contain more tabular KPI data alongside a mixture of charts and graphs.
KPIs for Call Centres
- Abandoned Calls - The total number of abandoned calls.
- Agent Days Worked - The number of agent days worked this month.
- Average Wait Time - The number of seconds a caller has to wait.
- Call Centre Expenses - Total expenses for the call centre.
- Call Conversions - The number of calls converted to sales.
- Call Handle Time - The average length of a call.
- Calls Conversion Percentage - The percentage of calls converted to sales.
- Cost Per Call - The number of calls divided by the call centre expenses.
- Customer Satisfaction - Customer Satisfaction Percentage.
- First Contact Resolution - The number of resolutions completed on first call.
- Inbound Calls - The total number of answered and unanswered calls.
- Service Grade - The number of inbound calls answered within 10 seconds.
- Total Answered Calls - The number of calls answered.
- Actual Production Cost -The actual cost of production.
- Actual Production Time -The actual product time.
- Availability OEE -The Actual production time / Potential production time.
- Average cycle time – ACT -Time from the order to the delivery of final ordered product.
- Cycle Time Ratio – CTR -CTR Standard cycle time / the real cycle time.
- Labour cost per unit -Total labour costs / number of units manufactured this period.
- Labour Costs -Labour Costs this period.
- Number of Days -Number of days units are in the production process uncompleted.
- Number of units unfinished -The amount of unfinished units in the production process.
- Potential Production Time -The total potential production time.
- Production cost variance -PCV - Actual production cost / standard production cost.
- Production losses -The number of finished products / overall production.
- Real Cycle Time -The Real Cycle Time.
- Standard Cycle Time -The Standard Cycle Time.
- Standard Production Cost -The standard cost of production.
- Units Manufactured -Units manufactured this period.
- Units on time -The number of units finished on time.
- Value of work in progress -The Value of units that are in the production process.
- Construction Hours to date -The total amount of construction hours to date.
- Construction schedule variance - The construction schedule variance.
- Cost Per Km / Mile - The cost of 1km or mile of construction.
- Defect rework cost - The total cost of fixing defects.
- Defects Found - The number of defects found by the client.
- Projected Construction hours - The projected construction hours.
- Safety: Reportable Incidents - The total number of reportable safety incidents this period.
- Square Meter Cost - The cost of construction for a Square Meter.
- Attempted 'Up Sales' - The number of attempted 'Up Sales' by unit.
- Average Sale Revenue - The average revenue per sale.
- Closing efficiency - Number of quotes to closed sales.
- Cost of Sales Force - The cost of the sales force.
- New Sales Percentage - New versus repeat sales percentage.
- New Sales Revenue - Sales Revenue From New Customers.
- Number of Sales - The number of sales by unit.
- Opportunities - The number of opportunities / leads /contacts.
- Prospect Meetings - The number of prospect meetings.
- Quotes - The number of quotes by unit.
- Repeat Sales Revenue - Sales Revenue from Repeat Customers.
- Sales Revenue - Sales revenue for this period.
- Successful 'Up sales' - Number of successful 'Up Sales' by unit.
- Up-selling Success Rate - The percentage of successful up-selling attempts.
- Value of Quotes - The Value of Quotes this period.
Human Resources KPIs
- Absence Rate - Measure of Absenteeism.
- Agency Fees - Recruitment agency or job posting fees.
- Average number of employees this month.
- Days taken to hire - Total days elapsed to fill positions.
- HR Advertising Costs.
- HR Expense Factor.
- HR Expenses - Costs associated with running the HR department.
- Number of days absent in a month.
- Number of Hires - The total number of new employees hired this period.
- Number of Workdays - The total number of working days minus no working days.
- Recruiter Pay - All associated recruiter pay this period.
- Relocation Costs HR - The total cost of all relocations this period.
- Total cost of healthcare.
- Total Employees - Total number of Employees this period.
- Total Operating Expenses.
- Travel Costs of applicants and staff - Total cost of applicants and staff - HR.
- Cost of goods / Services - Inventory costs of goods or services sold.
- Disputed Invoices - The percentage of disputed invoices.
- EBIT - Earnings before interest and taxes.
- Gross Profit Margin - Difference between revenue and cost before accounting for other costs.
- Net Profit - The measure of profitability after accounting for all costs.
- Net Profit Margin - Percentage comparing net profit after taxes to revenue.
- Number of Employees - The number of employees.
- Overdue Invoices - The number of invoices that are overdue.
- Revenue - Income received from business activities.
- Revenue per employee - Revenue by the total number of work force.
- Working Capital - Current assets minus current liabilities.
- Average site time - The average visitor time on the website.
- Bounce Rate - The bounce rate this week.
- Goal Conversion Rate - The percentage of visitors to a site that have completed a set action or goal.
- Inbound Links - The number of inbound links to your website.
- Keyword position - The position of searched keyword.
- OSOV - Online Share of Voice - The ratio of positive, negative and neutral comment about your product, service or company.
- SMM Post Activity - The number of posts, blogs or tweets this period.
- Unique website visitors - The total number of unique visitors this period.
- Average Basket Spend - The average amount spent per transaction.
- Average Shopping Time - The average shopping time for the period.
- Cost of Goods - The retail price minus the markup = Cost of Goods.
- Customer Retention - The number of repeat customers compared to first time purchasers.
- Fixed Cost Per period - The total cost of opening for the period.
- Gross Margin - Total sales minus the cost of goods.
- Gross Sales - The total value of all sales.
- Net Sales - Gross Sales - Returns and Allowances.
- Offline Sales - Offline Sales / In-Store.
- Online Purchases - Online purchases.
- Online Vs In store purchases - The percentage of online to store purchases.
- Retail Price - The total cost of Goods plus the markup.
- Returns and Allowances - The values of Returns and Allowances.
- Shop Visitors - the number of visits.
- Transaction Count - The amount of transactions.
- Visitor buying Ratio - Visitors buying ratio.
Rental and Lettings KPIs
- Actively let properties - The number of actively let properties.
- Average property letting time - The average time taken to let a new property.
- Average tenure of property - Average denature per property over a 12 month period.
- Early termination - The number of early terminations.
- Property manager properties - Average number of properties managed per property manager.
- Property Viewings - Viewings on a property before a successful tenancy agreement.
- Registered / Actively looking - The number of registered people looking for properties.
- Re-letting time - The average number of weeks taken to re-let a property.
- Rent Arrears Evictions - Percent of tenants evicted as a result of rent arrears.
- Reported Defects - The number of defects reported per month.
- Seeking Possession Served- The number of possession orders served.
- Cost Per Search - Cost per search.
- Customer Satisfaction average - The customer satisfaction average.
- Customer satisfaction completions - The number of visitors completing a satisfaction survey.
- EBooks -The total number of Electronic EBooks used.
- Electronic Expenditure - Expenditure on electronic resources, e-journals, databases.
- Electronic Journal Downloads - The total number of electronic downloads.
- Electronic resources expenditure % - Electronic expenditure % of total expenditure.
- Info Expenditure % - Info expenditure % of total expenditure.
- Information Expenditure -Expenditure on information, books, journals etc.
- Items Loaned -The total number of items loaned.
- Items loaned per visitor - Average number of items loaned per visitor.
- Library Expenditure - Total library expenditure.
- Library expenditure per Visitor - Average spend per unique visitor.
- Number of Searches - The number of information searches.
- Occupancy - The percentage occupancy of the premises.
- Staffing Expenditure - Staffing costs.
- Total Visitors - The total number of visitors.
- Unique Visitors - Unique Visitors.
- Viewings to let ratio - Percentage of viewings to tenancies.
Charities and Non-Profit
- Actual Pledges received - Pledges fulfilled this period.
- Admissions - The number of admissions this week.
- Bed Occupancy - Bed Occupancy this week.
- Charity Revenue - Revenue this period.
- Donations - The number of donations received this period.
- Number of pledges - The number of pledges received this period.
- Online Donations received - The online donations received this period.
- Planned Discharges - The number of Planned Discharges this week.
- Referrals - The number of referrals this week.
- Unplanned discharges - The number of unplanned discharges this week.
- Employee Referrals - Number of Employee Referrals this period.
- Health Care Costs per Employee - Average cost per employee.
- Hospital Infection rate - # Patients contracting an infection from the hospital.
- Medical locum spend - Cost of private staff cover.
- MURS - Medicine Use Reviews.
- NMS - New Medicine Services Completed.
- Prescriptions - The number of prescriptions.
- Prescriptions dispensed - The number of prescriptions dispensed.
- Time to Fill - HR - Average time in days to fill a position.
- Triage Presentations - The number of Triage Presentations this period.
- Triage Treatments - The number of Triage Treatments.
- Waiting Times - The average waiting time.
- Actual Productive Time - The actual productive time of the machine or plant.
- Carbon Footprint - The carbon usage this period in Tones.
- Down Time Percentage - The calculated percentage downtime of the machine or plant.
- Planned Productive Time - The planned Productive time of the machine or plant.
- Product Recycling Rate - The percentage of the product that is recycled.
- Supplier Performance Score - The total supplier performance score.
- Supply Chain Miles - Product location to final delivery in miles.
- Total Waste Created - The total volume of waste created this period.
- Waste Recycled - The volume of waste recycled this period.
- Waste Recycling Rate - The percentage of waste that is recycled.
- Wasted Material - The wasted raw material this period.
- Active accounts - The total number of active / paid accounts.
- Bugs Reported - The number of bugs reported this period.
- Cancelled Demos / Webinars - The number of cancelled demos / webinars this period.
- Converted Trials - The number of trials converted into paid accounts.
- Cost per paid account - The total cost of obtaining a new account.
- Cost per trial - The cost per trial.
- Demo Requests - The number of demo requests.
- Live Demo / Webinar completion - The number of live demos / Webinars completed this period.
- Multiple Logins - The amount of users that login more than once.
- New Data import - The number of accounts that have added their own data.
- New Trial Accounts - The number of new trial accounts.
- Online Marketing Spend - The total cost of online marketing this period.
- Releases - The number of releases this period.
- Trial Conversion Percentage - The percentage of trials converted into paid accounts.
- Visitor / Trial Percentage - The number of visitors that convert into new trials.
- Webinar / Demo success - The number of Demos / Webinars into paid accounts.
- Average ETA - The average estimate time of arrival.
- Booked future pick-ups - The number of pick-ups booked for a future date.
- Cancelled pick-up / Orders - The number of pick-ups or orders cancelled.
- Damage Rate - The damage percentage of total deliveries.
- Delivered On time % - % of orders delivered on time.
- Deliveries - Total Deliveries for the period.
- Drivers Absent - The number of drivers currently absent.
- Fleet Costs - Total running costs per vehicle (new fleet).
- Incorrect or No Paperwork - Incorrect or no paperwork.
- Late deliveries - The number of deliveries arriving outside the timeslot.
- Number of Drivers Available - The total number of drivers available for the period.
- On Time Deliveries - Number of Deliveries completed on time.
- On-site damage - Damages discovered after unloading delivery.
- Operating Vehicles - The # of vehicles operating in this period.
- Preloading Damage - Damage found prior to loading.
- Premium pick-ups / orders - The number of premium pick-ups or orders.
- Routed Distance - The total Kms or Miles in a direct route.
- Routed Hours - Total hours in a direct route.
- Total pick-ups / Orders - The total number of pick-ups or orders per day.
- Transit Damage - Damage discovered before unloading after transit.
- Unable to deliver - The number of deliveries unable to be fulfilled.
- Warehouse Space - Space left in the warehouse.
- Wrong Delivery details - The number of incorrect delivery details.